RSS

All through the house

I loved this story. I liked that it was told one scene at a time in a reverse chronological order. The story would have worked reading straight from past to present but it would have taken some of the surprise out of it. We would have known and understood why Larry didn’t want to talk to the author and why he set the house on fire when he found out that a film crew was coming. I appreciate the use of subheadings here and that they gave a time frame. It informed the reader on how to place each scene in chronological order so we could see how they fed each other.
However I'm not sure I liked the lack of punctuation with the dialogue. There were times it was hard to tell someone was speaking and i had to go back and look for tags. I'm not sure why Coake made that choice unless, because the point of view was 3rd it part of the narrative.
And I liked the title being a line from a Christmas poem though I didn't realize it till after I read the story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment